Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rolling Practice Smugglers Cove

Wednesday turned out to be a beautiful day on the water. A perfect day to test out the new FLIP HD camera. After six weeks waiting for a water proof case one was finally delivered through the mail slot. Alas it did not come with an external tripod mount.

The threads for the tripod are safely tucked away on the camera inside the external water proof case. So it was down to the work shop to build a Frankenstein monster device to connect the camera and the water proof case to my suction cup deck mount.

A little wood, some close cell foam, nuts, threaded rod, and a hour of puttering around and I had something workable. It ain't pretty but it worked. Dan G. calmly stood by whilst (that's for any UK readers) I set up the monster. I then shot a 50 minute clip of mostly flat water took the camera off the deck and stored it away.

We then rounded the south-east corner of Discovery Island into some really fun surge waves completely missing the opportunity to test the rig in rough water.

It got worse, as we returned to the Baynes Channel crossing the SE wind was pushing up the ebb waves into hay stacks and surf-able waves. Lots of fun was had in playing in the waves unfortunately the camera rig was still down in the hatch.

Safely back in Smugglers, or more correctly Maynard Cove, I pulled the camera out and waded out chest deep to shoot some footage of Dan rolling only to discover I have a pin hole leak in my dry suit somewhere very near the family generator equipment. In the interest of great cinematography I sacrificed a few future generations and caught the following. My apologies for the cheesy music but I could not resist.

I finished the day with my first February rolls and we retired to Starbucks for coffees, then home for a hot shower. Hours later the numbness down below was perfectly mirrored by the freezing stare from my spouse. The woman simply has no compassion.



No comments: