Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dry Hatch and the Black Beauty

Sea trials are complete and the Romany S forward hatch is bone dry after multiple rolls, braces etc.

Also had some time in the Tahe Marine. Amazing rolling machine, but very small cockpit, small enough to hurt. This would be a fine day paddler for anyone small enough to fit.

Turns well, rolls like a thought, static braces are easy, accelerates quickly and I believe would sustain a four knot speed with ease. I'd really like to see it in rough water.

Not sure if I want to be in the cock pit in rough conditions as it's such a tight squeeze I had serious misgivings of being able to get out should the worst happen. Mike Jackson is sold and I can't fault him for falling in love - fickle man that he is!!!

Mike looks on as Pete M. slides in for a test. For my test we had to call upon our companion with the longest arms to adjust the foot pegs. I could just reach the pegs with my finger tips but could not slide them further into the cockpit to accommodate my legs. If you're long legged, set them up, then don't move them unless you're a real knuckle dragger. Sorry Dan!!!

To do a static brace, which I have always struggled with, Dan and Mike simply leaned back onto the very low back deck then while twisting the torso, so the back will lay flat on the water, let the boat slip out from under them and they were doing a static brace. I'm inspired to try this in the Romany S.

Test and trials where conducted on a great day trip from Oak Bay Marine out around Discovery Island and along the shore of Chatham. I swapped my Romany S for Dan's Gulfstream for the return trip. The trip back reinforced my impression that the Gulfstream is the best kayak built by Current Design. Now if this earlier model only had a lower rear deck.

Here's a link to more photos Tahe

2 comments:

Alana said...

Hello! I was wondering how you got ahold of the Tahe Marine? It caught my eye a while ago on the internet, but I wasn't familiar with any dealers in BC.

Anonymous said...

I think what you typed made a ton of sense. However, think on this,
suppose you typed a catchier title? I am not suggesting your information iis not good., owever suppose you added something
that grabbed people's attention? I mean "Dry Hatch and the Black Beauty" iss kinda vanilla.
You might peek at Yahoo's front page and note how tey create post titles to grab
people interested. You might add a video or a related
pic or two to grab people interested about everything'vegotto say.
Just my opinion, it would make your posts a little livelier.



Here is my website; Lingual Braces cost